Friday, March 10, 2006

Not a Good Day...More like a scary day.....

Not a good day today......Our day started out as normal as our usual day. Went to work, came home gave Willow her afternoon dose of her Allergy meds. and gave her a bath with her special shampoo that she needs once a week for her Allergies. She shivered through the whole thing.( Not like her at all she loves her Puggy Tubbys) I dried her off and noticed she was not herself. I let her alone to give her time to rest. I went about my business and did housework and Willow is always at my feet and she was no where to be found. this is maybe 30-45 minutes later. I found her unresponsive downstairs in my daughters room defecating and surrounded in vomit. Cold to touch and very lethargic. I carried her upstairs to the living room and she continued to vomit and defecate. I was frantic! I called my husband home right away Crying like a child ( Good thing her works a hop skip and a jump from our home. ) I called her vet, they said to bring her right in, I wrapped her up in a warm blanket and loved her and told her that everything was going to be ok........she was like holding a bucket of rocks....and she was very limp. of course I am fearing the worst, I look over my Hubby has tears in his eyes telling her to hang in there....The vet is only about 7 min from here but it seemed to take forever...we finally arrived the Nurse met us at the door and she litterly whisked her away and brought her out back......during the time she was with the Doctors I was drilling my mind to think if there was something she got into and ate....if I gave her new meds to her wrong.....I was going crazy. The vet has a huge Collage of pictures of all there patients and I saw so many pictures of Willow as a pup to present. It was killing me to look at the pictures. not knowing what was going on out back..is she going to make it? is she going to be able to come home? I was talking a mile a minute...out of nerves and I didn't want to cry so I talked talked and talked. Marlene (The Nurse) came out to meet with us she said Willow's body temp has dropped and is having a severe reaction to either the vaccinations or the new meds she is on. Unsure to what gave her the reaction so they injected some form of a slow release gel behind her neck. ( looks like a water balloon) this will dilute and flush out the medication that is giving her the reaction. They observed her and felt that she indeed was extremely ill but allowed us to bring her back home to watch and hoping being in her home she will be more comfortable. Scared to death we brought her home they also said to place her near heat to keep her warm from her body temp dropping. so here I am watching willow trying to get her to drink some water she drank a little but, all she wants to do is sleep.....we keep the crate door open but she refuses to came out. I did take her out and cradled her and talked to her gave her loves the gel on the back of her neck is the strangest feeling and it looks bazaar but it seems to be working. she is looking better and is alert but, to weak to want to come out. I can't even begin to tell you how scared we were...we almost lost our Willow. We have to bring her back tomorrow for them to check her over. So far so good we think she is in the clear. Looks like we will be okay for the night. actually as I am writing this and My husband and a friend came home and Willow barked and came out of her crate now she is up here beside me on the sofa. Fewwww! I am feeling a little bit better having her up and beside me.I hope this never happens again. The hardest thing is not knowing what gave her the reactions in 4 weeks I have to start her on her new meds again and play the waiting game....if she does well we know it was one of 3 of her vaccinations. then again she was vacationed last year and this never happened. I am quiet worried to try the meds again.....I will keep you all posted on her......

7 comments:

.:*PugLove*:. said...

WHOA - CRYING! Keep your head up
Willow! Get well soon!! My thoughts are with you as Grant and I had a very similar situation a few months back. I was at a friends house and my mom and brother were with Sadie. They called and with no explanation said "Sadie isn't well, we're coming to get you right now". Sadie had a severe seizure and lost complete use of her hind legs for nearly an hour. She was vomiting uncontrollably. I phoned the emergency vet and we had a fecal test, urine test, blood test, coordination test, eye test...all sorts of stuff was done on her. She was officially diagnosed with Toxic Shock. She has since quit smoking (ate a cigarette butt from our neighbor's yard - found it in her poop) thankfully and she has never showed another sign of it. Allergic reactions can be scary with their little bodies but Willow will grow stronger. Thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Aww, I'm glad she's already doing better! Sounds scary though :(

Definitely makes me think about gettin pet insurrance for when I get Abby.

Anonymous said...

Omg.......I am so glad Willow is ok and coming around. How sad for the both of you. Your heart must of been outside of your body during this ordeal. The thought of losing Bandit or Paisley is incomprehensible to me.

Not sure about the meds or the shots. But alot of times, there isn't a reaction on the first....but later on the coming ones. Hopefully they will be able to figure it out so it doesn't happen again. The other choice is to have her get a titre instead of a shot to see if it is actually needed.

Please give Willow a big hug from us.

http://pugsalcious.typepad.com

♥Lisa and The Pug Posse ♥ said...

Thank you all for your kind words.Willow is doing well today, still not herself but a HUGE difference than yeasterday...I believe she is in the clear! Nice to have wonderful Pug Friends...Thank you!

***** To:Pugalicious ****
What is a TITRE? I never heard of this? ya I was beside myself. I think of her being my kid. It was killing me.....I was so exhausted mentally and psychically after this ordeal. It drains you.

My Pugs Blogger said...

WOW - that's terrifying! I'm so glad that things are starting to get better - and you did a great job getting her to the vet so quickly.

Pug hugs and Kisses from Meimei and Miko, for you and Willow!

Punchbugpug said...

Wow, just read your post from Friday! How scarey for you! Baby Rosie's mom had something like this happen, but it was due to spider bite! Willow sounds much worse though! It certainly does make sense that it might be the new meds. I would think your vet wouldn't even attempt you giving them to her again...maybe the shampoo too? SO many things. Poor baby. The girls and I will be holding her in our thoughts!

Leah said...

This is really scary--thank goodness you were home! I hope that never happens to us--I would totally panic!

Thanks for visiting our page. Your pugs are SO cute! We will be back to visit often!