Sunday, February 12, 2006

Help! My Pug is allergic to PROTEIN!!

Just curious if anyone knows of a supplement for protein? Willow had a allergy test done due to her having a rash all the time and soar wrinkles...come to find out Willow has an allergy to Protein so now she is on a Protein Free diet..( Food I purchase from her vet) can I say$$$$ Cha ching $$$$ I am just concerned for her not having Protein, protein is in nearly EVERYTHING...so now no more cute doggy treats from Pet-Co's treat Buffet now it is a good ole' homemade protein free treats ( the vet gave me a recipe and boy does it smell up my house), Not enough Yankee Candles can mask that smell Pwee Ewee! and to top it off she hates them she turns her nose up at them and walks away...any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated! and also...Has anyone heard of this type of allergy in Pugs? I know pugs have their share with Allergies but this one seems bizarre to me:(

4 comments:

.:*PugLove*:. said...

I have not heard of this allergy..but it's good to hear that you got through that experience. I hope that Willow get's healthier and happier on her new diet! Best wishes!

.:*PugLove*:. said...

The pictures we got of Sadie in the snow are so funny. We got over 25 cm in snow. It was well over her head and just so enjoyable to watch her prance through it.
Sadie is healing very well also, thanks for your continuing well wishes! Means so much!

Your pug pen pal, Sadie and Nicole

My Pugs Blogger said...

I have heard of this - our vet sells food with low protein as well. (There are vegetarian formula's sod at petstores too I think). What about carrots as treats? Our girls love baby carrots and apple slices (without the peel) and there are treats from Wellness that sell meat and wheat free treats.

Have you ever been to www.pugvillage.com they have a forum with hundreds of pug owners who may have an idea about a protein allergy. Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, about 6 months ago, I finally found that I cannot eat protein as well (but I'm a human, not a dog, LOL). If I eat meat, eggs, cheese, lentils, beans or nuts, I have very severe skin problems 12 hours later (huge facial infections, bloody lips, oily hair).

I've been off protein for 6 months now. My doctor has never heard of anything like this. She gave me a bloodtest to check my protein levels a few weeks ago (after being on this protein-free diet 6 months) and my levels were great! (Bulls and elephants get their protein from grass - so I suppose I shouldn't worry too much! And your puppy should do fine :)).

I've never met anyone else like myself -- except for your dog :P -- so I had to leave a comment. ;)

Good luck with you and your puppy's diet :).